Thursday, November 10, 2005

Chris Bell



I was a latecomer to the whole Big Star phenomenon. I was surprised to find out that much of the creative output was the responsibility of Chris Bell. Bell was a superb singer and guitarist who co-wrote some of Big Star's best songs (In the Street, Thirteen, When My Baby's Beside Me).


The tepid reception to Big Star's albums affected Bell strongly, and after recording some solo songs, he dropped out of music completely. He was in the process of putting a new band together when the car he was driving hit a tree. He was 27.


Those solo recordings were compiled on a record called I Am The Cosmos in 1992. It's hard to imagine The Replacements, Matthew Sweet, Teenage Fanclub, et al, without them. Essential power pop.


Chris Bell - I Got Kinda Lost

Chris Bell - I Don't Know


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?