Sunday, November 26, 2006

Mondo Mongo

I finally got it together to convert my old vinyl to digital. I was intending on recording the "I Love" series for sharity's sake, but the discs are in terrible shape, and the music is pretty innocuous. So I spared you the heartbreak of download disappointment. Besides, I have a lot better stuff to offer.


First up: Mongo Santamaria's "Workin' On A Groovy Thing." Despite the kitschy cover (Mongo surrounded by multi-culti foursome of women) and the hep title, this is not a schlocky album of "today's hits." It's actually a pretty funky outing, featuring Bernard Purdie on drums, a horn section of Louis Gasca, Ray Maldonaldo, Sonny Fortune, Charlie Owens, Joe Farrell, and Art Kaplan, as well as Mongo's dynamic percussion. Included are reworkings of contemporary hits, with a few originals thrown in the mix. Unfortunately, the title cut was too skippy to include. Sorry.


Track List:

Spinning Wheel

Too Busy Thinking About My Baby

We Got Latin Soul

Geting it Out of My System

Proud Mary

Its Your Thing

My Cherie Amour

Get Back

Aint That Peculiar

Twenty Five Miles


Mongo.zip


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?