Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Por Favor! Por Favor! Por Favor!









I can't leave you people alone for a minute, can I? No sooner do I leave the country then James Brown dies. I'm just finding this out today. There was plenty of coverage of Saddam's demise, as well as the passing of former president Gerald Ford. but the Godfather? Nothing. I guarantee that the average Peruvian has no idea who Gerald Ford was, but they sure know who JB was. Disgraceful.








Anyway, the Peru trip was amazing. I didn't get a chance to root through any thrift stores or check out any wrestling, as I was marvelling at Macchu Picchu and communing with the monkeys in the jungle. My only Yma Sumac sighting was a brief but amazing scoptione on TV. Also saw a bizarre "American Idol" clone called "LaTina" that featured a tribal dance routine straight out of "Staying Alive" and a performance by La Oreja De Van Gogh (Van Gogh's Ear).












The cuisine was great. Lots of fish and plantains. I even tried the alpaca, but I couldn't bring myself to order the guinea pig, though the locals told me it's really good. I nearly got spit on by a llama. I came to the realization that my Spanish is atrocious. My friend Giselle was picking out a hat for her husband, and I actually said to the shopkeeper: "It for she wife."








Spent New Year's Eve in Lima with Giselle's family. Had a long conversation with Tio Walter, in which he went on and on about "Cebiche! Cebiche!" Turns out he owns several seafood restaurants in the city. I had lentels rubbed in my hair (for prosperity) and made wishes on grapes. I hope you all had a Feliz Navidad and Ano Nuevo. Back to the usual fun and frivolity next week.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?