Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Bar Guide



I don't know what makes this book authentic, but it's pretty hilarious. Written by Ted Shane and illustrated by the immortal VIP, Bar Guide has recipes for such bygone drinks as The Kitchen Sink, Oppenheimer's u235, and Oh Nurse! The recipes have smirky one-liners to go with them. For the Yachting Club Special: "Put on your yachting cap, lash her to the mast, and go down the old Hatch." Published in 1950 by True, the men's magazine.

I tended bar for 10 years, but I never quite got the hang of the bottle-in-the-mouth trick.

3 Comments:

"Vip"? Looks a lot like Gene Deitch to me.

By Blogger litlgrey, at 8:47 PM  

VIP was actually Virgil Partch, an illustrator whose style always reminded me of Chas. Addams. Check him out: http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/partch.htm

By Blogger MadCatJoey, at 8:44 AM  

Oh, thanks very much.... but I'll be dipped coz it sure does look like Gene Deitch.

By Blogger litlgrey, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?