Wednesday, February 04, 2009

RIP Rick Lopez

My friend Rick passed away last week. We met some time in the early '80s. We bonded over music. Rick had the most insane record collection I'd ever seen. He was the kind of guy who drooled over Japanese imports. He was heavily into British art rock (Cocteau Twins, Bauhaus, Joy Division). He could groove to pretty much anything, but he was drawn to the dark side.

The last time I saw him was in 1995. He was married to my ex-wife and living in Brooklyn. They broke up a few years later, and he went into seclusion. He started getting ill around ten years ago and was by all accounts a recluse. I didn't think about him too much until I heard about his death.

I was in a melancholy mood today, so I put on This Mortal Coil, which along with Leonard Cohen is my go-to sad music. Rick was a huge TMC fan. These two are dedicated to him.

I hope he's hanging around with Ian Curtis right now.

Song To The Siren

My Father

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?